Every Wednesday our bands are heading online to answer your questions around some of the key areas of what it means to be a Christian.
Last week Daniel, Sammy, Aidan and Clarissa discussed Prayer – how, why and where do we pray? And why it’s so amazing. If you haven’t already check out their discussion here:
As part of their conversation, they set you all the challenge of trying out prayer. As they said praying is simply chatting to God, it doesn’t have to be at any particular time or in a certain place, and you don’t have to say the perfect words. But you can share the ups and downs of your day with the creator of the universe, who loves you. And prayer can change in situations too.
However great this sounds, I know from personal experience that it can be hard to know where to start with prayer and what to pray for. So like Daniel and everyone challenged we’re going to try prayer. Below is a bit more structure with some ideas of how to get started and things you might want to pray for. These don’t have to be done in any particular order – but they are some things I’ve found helpful.
- Pause- Spend some time just stopping and slowing down your thoughts.
- Thank- Can you thank God for one good thing about your day or week?
- Read- Spend some time reading a verse or chunk of the bible. (The book of Psalms could be a good one)
- Ask- Is there a person or a situation you want to pray for?
- Listen- God can speak back to us, so it’s important that we allow space to hear it.
- Write- You can write down some of the things or people you’re praying for.
It’s important to remember that there is no set time you have to pray for and don’t feel pressure to make it fit one way. God simply wants a relationship with you and like talking to a friend to get to know them, prayer is one important way we get to know God.
Next week we are going to look at another way which is through reading the bible- so make sure to check out the next session- every Wednesday at 5 pm!